Saturday 29 June 2013

Army Showcase: Captain Scarlet

Introduction

As I browse the internet, I see websites for many companies that make 28mm miniatures.  A lot of these make very good product, but I don't necessarily have any use for it no matter how well made the models may be.  Just occasionally, however, I see miniatures that I like so much that I covet them, even if I have no immediate use for such figures.

So it is with Crooked Dice.  I've watched the company grow over time and have consistently thought that I'd enjoy painting and owning pretty much anything from their catalogue.  However, despite dropping hints before birthdays and Christmases, I never obtained anything from them - until recently.

3 weeks ago today, I attended the Glasgow Phoenix Club's annual show, "Wappinshaw" with my friend Steve.  There we charged the Light Brigade down the wrong valley at the battle of Balaclava (I was all but wiped out; Steve took relatively few casualties), fought giant bugs in a 1950's B movie and entered a futuristic motorbike race (I was in the middle of the pack; Steve won handsomely , even lapping the tail-ender in the process).  Also, we took the opportunity to do some shopping.  3 weeks later, here are some of the purchases, now painted up.

Timelift Security

Apparently, when I was very small, my favourite TV program was "Captain Scarlet".  I don't remember this at all (it was a long time ago), though I do remember myself or my brothers having a few of the Dinky toy vehicles from the series - long since lost, sadly.  Since then, I've watched a few episodes with my own children and they have enjoyed the show too.

It would probably have stopped there, but then some time ago Crooked Dice brought out their range of "Time Lift Security" figures.  These aren't Captain Scarlet models at all (no sirree!), but I thought that with a cunning paint job they could be made to look just like the characters from the show.

I was all for choosing some new and interesting colours for my Spectrum agents.  "Captain Orange"?  Hmm: sounds a bit like the advertising mascot for a company that makes kid's drinks.  "Captain Puce"?  Really?  Hands up all those who know what colour is "puce"!  My wife and children remonstrated with me and so I ended up painting the figures in more traditional livery.

Spectrum Agents

From left to right: Captain Blue, Captain Scarlet, Lieutenant Green, Colonel White
This picture shows the main characters in the TV show.  Captain Scarlet is the hero, of course.  He's indestructible and is always recreated even after being incinerated, blown up, gassed or otherwise killed.  Handy :-) .  Captain Blue is another field agent and is Scarlet's faithful companion.  Colonel White is the boss and Lieutenant Green is an aide.

In terms of the models, the Scarlet model came with a pointing finger; the pistol hand was an optional extra.  I'm now thinking that I could have just left him pointing as there are plenty of other guns on show in the squad (and he has another pistol in his holster anyway).

Lieutenant Green came with the option of a standard assault rifle or an unusual-looking high-tech "gun".  I chose the latter because it seemed more interesting and will give me more options for gaming with these figures.

From left to right: Captain Ochre, Captain Brown, Captain Grey, Captain Magenta
The second picture departs somewhat from the TV show canon in 2 ways.  Firstly, 3 of the 4 agents are women.  In the original 1960's show, all the Spectrum agents were men and all the Angels (Spectrum's fighter pilots) were women.  However in the 2000's animated remake (New Captain Scarlet), Lieutenant Green was a woman, so there is some precedent for this.  Actually, I don't really care; if Crooked Dice make female agents then I'm entirely happy to have them in my collection.  This is the 21st century, after all!

Secondly, I don't recall any of the Spectrum personnel being armed with anything other than a pistol, or on rare occasions with a "Mysteron gun".  Mind you, I'm no expert on this and am probably mistaken.  Still, having assault rifles seems fairly heavy armament for them.

The evil Captain Black
Finally, here's Captain Black, the Spectrum agent who was subverted by their arch-enemies, the Mysterons and is now the lead figure in most plots against the forces of the World Government.  This is a straightforward model; the only thing that makes it in any way different is that I had to paint a "5 o'clock shadow" on his face to make the character as sinister as he is on the TV.

Conclusion

Captain Black is confronted by all the Spectrum agents
I bought these models just because I like them and not with any specific intention of using them for gaming.  Having said that, I'm trying to work out how to incorporate Spectrum or the Mysterons into any of my existing sets of rules and figures.  I could just go for broke and use 7TV, which I also bought at Wappinshaw 2013, but that might necessitate buying more models from Crooked Dice.  Ah, what to do?

13 comments:

  1. A very nice collection. I have so far resisted these.... But the Not Federation and the not Blakes 7 they may find a home in the near future!

    You have painted these so nicely they are tempting me now! I must resist the power of the Myser-shinyitis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clint. Crooked Dice certainly make some very nice models, so if you are weak-willed then I advise never looking at their website!

      I think I need to get the Daredevil sisters next...

      Delete
    2. I know Karl from CD and have put a game on at a show for him (a very small local show I hasten to add). He paid me in lead! I'd be tempted to do so again..... it's a possibility.... and now do I watch Saturday evening Telly (yuck) or watch some Blakes 7.... hmmm that's a tough choice!

      Delete
  2. Very nice ... , now the answer should be buy more figures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work on your spectrum agents. I'm sure you need some more 7tv stuff to go with them ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another tempter? It's hard to resist this!

      Delete
  4. Good paintjobs and now I'm trying to recall memories of Captain Scarlet's adventures with the Mysterons. All I can recall now is a Dinky model of the vehicle you sat backwards in to drive and not being surprised at the lack of a Captain Pink! (Pulp Fiction sorted that one out)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one of my family had that vehicle too - the SPV (Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle). Definitely cooler than most rides!

      I haven't seen Pulp Fiction, though I was sorely tempted to make one of my models into Captain Pink. Indeed, if you look closely at my Captain Magenta, there's more than a hint of pink about the paints I've used :-) .

      Delete
  5. Don't remember Captain Scarlet? Damn, how old does that make me... Spectrum sure looks good here though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably you're no older than I am, but just have a better memory :-) . Anyway, thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  6. Great stuff! I picked up these very same figures at the very same show! Perhaps one day I'll paint mine up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So, when do we get to see your versions :-) ?

      Delete