Wednesday 4 June 2014

Showcase: Koralon snakemen

Introduction

I don't often sell off any of my models; I prefer to hold onto them just in case I find a use for them.  Very occasionally I do decide to sell off stuff, though.  One such case was my collection of i-Kore Koralon aliens (the versions done for VOID 1.1, not the later, re-modelled figures).  I had a very large number of these, but most had stayed in their blisters for years and it became obvious that I wasn't ever going to paint them up.

Once I had decided that I didn't much like the sculpts, I sold off almost all of the unpainted models (though I think I've still got a small number left).  However I did keep the ones that I had already painted.  Generally speaking, these were models that I liked better than the rest anyway, which is why I'd been interested enough to paint them.  Anyway, one such group can be seen here...

Snakemen (and women)

I cannot remember what these models were originally called [Edit: I've just looked them up on the Scotia Grendel website, where they are still available.  They were called "Arakto Brood"], but I think of them as just "snakemen".  There are a couple (I think) of special characters in with the grunts, but again I'm not really interested in distinguishing them.

Although officially the Koralon are a science-fiction faction, their predilection for melee weapons and lack of clothing or other obvious artifacts means than many of the models could just as easily be used in a fantasy setting.

Most of the rank-and-file figures had grotesquely ornate swords and I didn't like these at all.  I've put in a lot of work with a Dremel grinding tool to reduce these to slightly more plausible blades, though the hilts still bear traces of this fussiness.  Mind you, the over-muscled torsos and (still) huge weapons make them look very top heavy even with the amount of metal that I've removed.

It's interesting how the (presumably) male models above have armoured torsos, while the snakewomen ... don't.  Now don't get me wrong: I like a bit of boob as much as the next man, but in context.  To me, this is completely gratuitous and not at all appropriate.  Still, I painted the figures anyway, so what does that say?

The big guy has a pair of small critters on the base behind him.  It seemed like a good idea at the time...

Jason (the Argonaut) faces a large snakeman
These are large models - they're not mounted on the common 25mm round slotta-bases.  Rather, most of the snakemen are on 30mm bases, apart from the leader who is on a 40mm base.  This picture should give some idea of how they tower over a regular 28mm figure.

I really hope that wasn't a relative whom Jason has killed - the snakeman does look pretty annoyed!

Conclusion

Once upon a time, I quite liked the Koralon range, if only because they weren't particularly anthropomorphic.  Over time though, I've changed my mind (with a few exceptions) and I wouldn't buy them again.  Still, I'm going to keep the ones I've got!

13 comments:

  1. Those are...interesting. And thanks for posting the link, I need some snakemen and I don't like Reaper bones too much (I think there's only one or two variants).
    While I share your opinion about the boobs, I prefer the females in this example because my idea of Snakemen doesn't include armour for some reason, lol. And those original swords are just way over the top.
    I did check the range and there are some great concepts in there, there's always a place for weird beings in my games :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they're just on the edge of "acceptable" for me. I don't have a problem with the nudity, though I'd prefer to see it applied equally to both genders. But for me the males' muscles and the weapons are on the far side of ridiculous!

      Delete
  2. Like Mathyoo I prefer my snake people unarmoured. But for me the weapons are just too big, too clumsy looking and far too unwieldy. And that is after your Dremel was used. Still each to their own and I am sure the sculptor made those weapons for a reason. Nice to see them though and it is all personal choice after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The females are anatomically a little more plausible, though even they are over-muscled. But the weapons and the male figures are just *so* over the top...

      Delete
  3. Those are really a mixed bag and they're the btter ones !
    I would have preferred to see them snakelike throughout their torsos, both male and female.for reasons of practicality rather than anything else. I'm guessing though that it's yet another marketing ploy.
    Nice paintwork on them despite the weird weapons..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're an example of something I don't like in the hobby. The sculptor is clearly technically proficient, but the subject matter exaggerates certain aspects (weapons, muscles, boobs) far too much. Actually, compared with some models that are out there, these are somewhat subdued :-) ...

      Delete
  4. Great looking models and painted them beautifully mate. Where is Conan when you need him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, now you've got me thinking of Thrud the Barbarian! At least his exaggerated proportions were done tongue-in-cheek!

      Delete
    2. I've seen a few of him on ebay recently.......... reasonably priced as well :)

      Delete
  5. You have painted them well, Hugh, but they're not my cup of tea. I really don't like their over-sized weapons. I had no idea that they even existed so thanks for digging them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not really mine either :-) , Bryan :-) . Still, I'm sure we've all been through phases where something seemed like a good idea at the time...

      Delete
  6. Nice paint dude. I vaguely remember these from back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are better aliens or monsters around, though I will use these if I find a need for snakemen in any of my games. After all, I've already painted them!

      Delete