Wednesday 14 January 2015

Mystery Incorporated

Introduction

I've mentioned Fear and Faith a few times recently, either in one of my own articles or in a comment on someone else's blog.This has reminded me how much I want to get out some figures and play this game.

So, what is Fear and Faith?  It's a set of rules for skirmish wargaming, based on Ganesha Games' very successful Song of Blades and Heroes fantasy offering, but with an emphasis on horror.  In particular, it's really aimed at Gothic through to modern horror, so any time in the last 3 centuries or so.

In addition to the main Fear and Faith rules, I have purchased a supplement called (sic!) Kooky Teenage Monster Hunters!  It expands on the main rules by providing profiles and scenarios aimed at the modern, American, urban monster genre.  Think Buffy, Twilight and the like and you won't be far wrong!

However, there's one set of profiles in KTMG that I've just got to play!  I've made up some quick reference cards for this band; let's see if anyone can recognise them.  Note that I've changed the names from those given in the booklet; I think that my names work much better.

Without further ado, I present my band "Mystery Incorporated":






Conclusion

I am a little puzzled by some of the traits that have been assigned to these characters; they're not always what I would have done myself.  Still, I can always change them if I want, can't I?

Of course, I'll need to get them some transport (maybe the Crooked Dice van with Company B decals?)  More importantly, I'll need some adversaries and some special scenario rules.  I have a feeling that dog treats might be important...

18 comments:

  1. Cracking post C6 and inspirational 'new' names for these characters ;-) Not seen the KTMH rules myself so looking forward to seeing these in action at some point. You;re certainly looking at a few systems at the moment. Jinkies!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Blax. I do indeed hope to use these in a game sometime, though I don't know how soon that might be!

      Delete
  2. Great looking cards. I shall look forward to seeing some mystery solving. Good luck with getting a van it seems popular everytime I have the cash its out of stock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. The van is a lower priority for now - I think it's more important to come up with some good scenarios and play a game or two!

      Delete
  3. At some point I'm sure I'll end up buying this game and its supplements. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd like it, Bryan. Mind you, I'm not trying to railroad you into spending money if you don't want to!

      Delete
  4. Nice cards C6! I'd like to see how these rules play, love the name of the supplement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do plan to set up a game and report on it, but I don't know how soon that might happen :-( .

      Delete
  5. I'm already looking forward to your take on this. I presume the character traits are their attempt to get a rounded group that fits within their list of traits, but hey why not change them if you can come up with suitable alternatives ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit puzzled by some of the traits - such as giving Shaggy the "Hero" rule. Still, I can always change them if I decide.

      Delete
  6. I have both these rule sets and think they are great!! I was always stopped by the fact that I wanted a modern town board before I tried them, and the fact that I would have to play them solo (modern horror is not really a favorite among my group). I saw somewhere an aid to playing sobh and variants solo. It helped with number of activation dice the game run opposition rolled. I wonder where I saw that.....
    Great cards, by the way, and I love the Hasslefree scooby doo figures. They just missed the cut this order (you need all 5 or not at all and I couldn't afford the extra 5!) but I will be getting them next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, you're right - of course you need all 5 figures or none at all. Mind you, my "Scooby" isn't actually the Hasslefree model; he comes from somewhere else...

      Delete
  7. Nice one. That's a lot of on going project that are getting ready to play. Looking forward to your carnival terrain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, carnival terrain would be great, wouldn't it :-) ? So would a dusty museum, an abandoned mansion or a lonely lighthouse...

      Delete
  8. I have a Mc Donalds free gift Mystery machine. Not brilliant but it is serviceable and even comes with a dice inside that you push a button to "Roll". Just a thought, Maybe ebay might be your friend here.
    This should be fun to watch and follow. I shall nip to the kitchen and get some Scooby snack before reading your fist post. "Yikes!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've looked up the MacDonalds' dice-rolling Mystery Machine. It is indeed "not brilliant" :-) . Still, I don't really need a van before I can put on a first game, I think....

      Delete
  9. Great cards. Having played F&F with the Scooby Gang (albeit the tooled up ones) these cards would have been great. I agree that some of the character special rules seem not so much strange but certainly very scenario dependant. Just means that you'll have to use them more often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sam. I find that quick-reference cards are very useful: you don't have to flip through the rulebook all the time to remember what is the effect of each trait or skill :-) .

      Delete