Wednesday 13 January 2016

Acquisitions & Assault Craft!

Introduction

This post is going to be a bit of a mixed bag, seeing as it concerns gaming past, gaming present and gaming yet-to-come.  Mind you, the "past" and "yet-to-come" parts are very near term, so I think that my feeble attempt to draw an analogy with a great work of literature had better stop there.  If you don't understand what I'm talking about then don't worry!

Gaming Past


It's now well past Christmas and this is probably quite tasteless, but I still haven't gloated over my loot.  For sanity's sake, I've omitted the presents of socks and other clothing; this is just about those items which are games-related.  So:
  • Lion Rampant: given to me by my brother, who believed (I think) that this was a set of rules specific to the Scottish Wars of Independence.  It's not, but the gift is still very welcome anyway.  I've read the rules through, though I have no immediate plans to put on a game (but I could, right?)
  • Frostgrave figures: 4 assorted blisters.  I've started to build and paint a few of these already.
  • Captain Scarlet (the entire collection): Yes!  More Gerry Anderson goodness, inspirational to gamers and model-makers alike...
  • 3 dice bags, hand made by my loving wife.  This is possibly the most touching present I've had in a long while and they'll be very useful.

Gaming Present


Both of the items in the picture above arrived in the post on Monday this week.  But here's a problem: which should I read first?!
  • Thaw of the Lich Lord: This is the first expansion/campaign book for Frostgrave.  I missed out on the pre-order campaign which delivered a month or two ago, but decided to buy this with some Christmas money from my in-laws.  The new spells, magic items and creatures are interesting enough, but what has really caught my attention is the large number of imaginative new scenarios.  Many of these require some exotic terrain model as a centrepiece, so it's a good excuse to build some really good pieces.  Or to plan to build them, at least...
  • 7TV, 2nd Edition: Yes, I got my copy of the new 7TV boxed set - this time I was signed up to the relevant pre-order campaign.  So, now I've read the books, looked at the cards and thought for a bit - what setting shall I play first?  I'm tempted by Captain Scarlet, Doctor Who and Star Trek, for starters.  These are all areas for which I already have miniatures (not always painted, mind).  Ah, what to do?

Gaming Yet to Come


I've just finished off these models, intending to use them in a game of Full Thrust in the next week or two.  What are they?  Well, the models are (I think) Imperial bombers from the Battlefleet Gothic range.  However I plan to use them as generic assault shuttles for any fleet that needs ground attack capabilities.  I'll design an SSD (ship status display) for a commando carrier or assault landing ship - call it what you will - and these will be the small craft that ferry the troops to the ground and provide air support thereafter.  Or at least, that's the idea.  Stay tuned to hear about the game when/if it happens...

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Gordon. It didn't seem so much at the time, but when I pile it all up like this there's more of it than I thought.

      Delete
  2. Go with 7TV, then batrep the hell out of it, so I can play vicariously...... Oops sorry Hugh, got a bit carried away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem; I'm itching to play 7TV(2) anyway :-) . Just as soon as I've figured out which setting comes first...

      Delete
    2. I've downloaded the beta rules of 7tv2 to sample it before splashing my hard earned gaming tokens on it. I'm going to use the rules for my TMNT minis of which I've got some more figs from that world on order. I'm really looking forward to your take on the game Hugh.

      Delete
  3. The two items that I most covet from your haul are the Captain Scarlet boxed set of DVDs and your 7TV boxed set. I'm most likely going to buy the new 7TV boxed set soon (possibly next month as I'm all spent up for January). The Captain Scarlet DVDs are on my shopping list as well but such a high priority. I'm still avoiding Frostgrave, which isn't a problem for me, although I do enjoy reading other folk's batreps for the game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the 2nd edition of 7TV looks to have a lot going for it, but I'll need a few games to be sure.

      As for Captain Scarlet, my mother has told me that it was a favourite when I was a small boy, but I don't remember that. This is my chance to catch up and relive my youth :-) !

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, HW. Now I've got to do something with all of it :-) .

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I think that the family are getting the message :-) . I provide helpful lists of URLs, sit back and wait for something to happen. Quite often, it works!

      Delete
  6. I want you to know I heard your first sentence read by Cate Blanchett in my mind.
    First wot Christmas Booty! I didn't know they sold Capt Scarlet Vids. Also are you saying you can play Capt scarlet using 7TV?
    Oh I would definably start there. In fact I might look this all up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Lord of the Rings? Not quite the piece of classic literature that I had in mind, though it has much merit in its own right.

      As for 7TV, I don't see why one couldn't play Captain Scarlet with these rules. There aren't any predesigned casts for Captain Scarlet, but it wouldn't be too hard to come up with an evil squad.

      I've already got the heroic figures (http://colgar6.blogspot.com/2013/06/army-showcase-captain-scarlet.html and http://colgar6.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-spectrum-angels.html) and vehicles (http://colgar6.blogspot.com/2015/08/captain-scarlet-vehicles-in-card.html), so it's just a question of providing an enemy force.

      [Note that diecast Spectrum vehicles can also be found. I don't have any myself, but Vampifan showed some here: http://vampifansworldoftheundead.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/assorted-spectrum-ground-vehicles.html ].

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Must resist new period. Must res.....

      Delete
  7. That's a great haul C6, one that'll keep you busy for a long time to come I suspect. I reckon you'll be itching to play a Scarlet game after you've seen a couple of the dvds and gleaned ideas for a scenario or two (or three or four or... you get the idea)and with a whole slough of new Frostgrave scenarios to work through too, I foresee a whole host of Frotgrave games on the horizon (which I'm looking forward to hearing about).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. Yes, I think that your predictions are likely to come true :-) .

      Delete
  8. If I had been buying for myself I doubt I would have done better. I got Dragon Rampant and will be running my first game next weekend and looking at a LOTR campaign shortly after IF the club like the rules and I think they will.

    I got the Cpt Scarlet DVD' last year still to watch all of them, but have loved the ones I have seen.

    All in all I am impressed. Top gifts. Double ace man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clint. Yes, it's a pretty good time of year for stuff. Now if only I had more time!

      Delete
  9. Nice haul of goods there! As for 7TV play which you fancy the most it will happily do all of those. Ships are looking great as well. Never something that has floated my boat personally but I enjoy reading battle reports of star fleet engagements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. I'll probably play all of those settings in due course, but the first game is likely to be Captain Scarlet or Doctor Who, if only because I already have painted miniatures for both. Star Trek might have to wait till later...

      Delete
  10. Ahhh dice bags ... that's what they were. For a moment there I though you had gotten some loincloth for your Medieval Cosplay ;) ... ok so bad jokes aside, that 7TV boardgame looks very promising. Like all sorts of cool into one box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7TV(2nd edition) does indeed look very interesting. I'm thinking that I'll maybe use it with my Captain Scarlet miniatures first. Or maybe my Doctor Who figures? No, wait - I'll paint up my Star Trek models specially. Ah, too many decisions: I don't know what to do!

      Delete